A major piece of Beaune’s religious heritage, the Collegiate Church of Notre-Dame de Beaune, a basilica since 1958, is one of the last great Roman churches in Burgundy.
Its construction, based on the Cluniac model, dates from the mid-12th century, with Gothic additions (porch and side chapels) and a Renaissance bell tower. It uses the plan of the large pilgrimage churches, with a nave and aisles of six bays, a transept and a choir oriented to an ambulatory and radiating chapels.
Notre Dame de Beaune is well known for its tapestries, placed in the choir, which retrace the main stages of the life of the Virgin Mary. This exceptional ensemble dates from the 16th century and was restored in 1852 by the sisters of the Hôtel Dieu – Hospices de Beaune.
Its large organ is, probably, one of the most beautiful instruments in Burgundy. The organ has a very impressive painted and sculpted sideboard, four keyboards, a pedalboard and around fifty stops.
The stained glass windows of Notre Dame de Beaune date mainly from the 19th century, but certain fragments of stained glass windows from the 15th and early 16th centuries have been preserved. The high stained glass windows of the choir are dedicated to the coronation of the Virgin Mary.
The canonical buildings of the old chapter date back to the end of the 12th and 13th centuries and the main building currently serves as a presbytery.
For information :
The tapestries of the Notre Dame Basilica will only be accessible on Saturday November 18th, from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.